Monday, March 24, 2014

Caledonian Soundscapes

This is the conclusion to my spring break trip.  You can find Dublin here and Prague here.

After spending the week traveling through Europe, it was so nice to return to Scotland.  This past weekend, I went on a trip up to the Scottish Highlands with the Arcadia group.  Even though I have traveled to other countries and have had so much fun elsewhere, I think that Scotland is still one of my favorite places.

We went to the Blair Athol Distillery in Pitlochry.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures inside any of the buildings, but it was really interesting to learn how different each distillery is and how that affects the whisky.  At this particular distillery, they only make a limited supply of single malt whisky and the rest of their product gets mixed with other products like their Bell's Blend.  Their single malt is very smooth and fruity tasting which I really liked.


That night, we attended a Mànran concert which was really cool.  They are a folk/rock band that play a variety of traditional Scottish instruments.  They sang several songs in Gaelic which I obviously couldn't understand, but it was still a lot of fun.  They are really great performers, and it was easy for people who had never heard of them to get involved and have fun.

We spent the night in Pitlochry, and the view outside of the hostel was beautiful.


The next morning, we travelled up to Dunnottar Castle, but we stopped at Queen's View for one of the most amazing views.  This spot really reminded me of why I love Scotland.



A good majority of the day was spent at Dunnottar Castle.  This was a pretty cool place, and apparently once hosted William Wallace and Mary Queen of Scots.  It's really amazing to think that people once lived in castles like this.  






I had a lot of fun exploring more of the Highlands this weekend.  I absolutely love this region of Scotland, but I am looking forward to seeing more of southern Scotland and hopefully some of the islands as well.  Scotland is such a beautiful place, and I am really glad that I chose to come here this semester.  It was a great way to end my spring break adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment