Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Going Home to Hogwarts

"The stories we love best do live in us forever, so whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." –J.K. Rowling

A young boy named Harry Potter will always hold a special place in my heart.  We grew up together, learning magical spells, encountering fantastic beasts, and defeating dark wizards along the way.  The Harry Potter books taught me how to read, and in many ways, J.K. Rowling taught me how to write.  That series of books (and later on, the films) played a large role into shaping me into the person that I am today.  They were my favorite books growing up, and they still remain to be so.  My love for books stemmed from loving Harry Potter, and I give them quite a bit of credit for the path that I am on today, studying literature and writing, hoping to make a career out of that love and passion.

When my family and I visited the Harry Potter Studio Tour just outside of London, I couldn't be more excited.  I had the opportunity to visit some of the sets that made the words become real, to see the world that I had read about and seen on the screen in real life.  No amount of anticipation or excitement could have prepared me for such an experience.  When the tour began, and the doors to the Great Hall were opened, I cried.  I had not been prepared for the amount of emotion that I felt in that moment.  It was pure magic.  I was finally at Hogwarts, a place that had been in my life since I was just beginning to learn how to read.
The Great Hall and Harry's first Hogwarts robes

I eventually contained my emotions and got to see much more than just the Great Hall.  I saw the Gryffindor Common Room, Hagrid's Hut, The Burrow, costumes, props, the secrets behind Quidditch, and so much more that this post could go on forever if I tried to explain it all.  I was so happy to be in a world where everyone around me loved these books and films just as much as I do and to be surrounded by all of the aspects that made it come to life.  It all really was quite magical.
The cupboard under the stairs

Gryffindor Common Room


The Burrow


Hagrid's Hut

Dumbledore's Office


Umbridge's Office

Diagon Alley


The Knight Bus

Severus Snape

Horace Slughorn

Lord Voldemort

Bellatrix Lestrange




Even though it wasn't part of the studio tour, I thought I would include Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station.


Needless to say, this was one of my favorite places during our time in London.  There truly was magic at work, and I thank Rowling and all involved in making the films for creating such a wonderful world that will always be special to me.  Rowling was certainly right: Hogwarts will always be there to welcome me home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment